Tatitlek | (TAT) | tuh tit' leck
Tatitlek is located on the northeast shore of Tatitlek Narrows, on the Alaska Mainland in Prince William Sound. It lies near Bligh Island, 22 nautical miles southwest of Valdez and 50 nautical miles northwest of Cordova. Tatitlek is a small Alutiiq village with a fishing and subsistence lifestyle and there are no visitor services available in Tatitlek. Construction of new docks to provide staging areas for oil spill response capabilities enable the ferries to service this community.
- Village originally stood at the head of Virgin Bay, current location of Ellamar, but was moved to its current location around 1900 to make room for the copper mine.
- Many residents of Chenega moved to Tatitlek following its destruction by the tsunami caused by the 1964 Good Friday earthquake.
- The dominant feature in the village is the blue-domed Russian Orthodox Church and Copper Mountain.
- A state-owned gravel airstrip allows for charter air service to / from Valdez or Cordova
- A federally-recognized tribe is located in the community – the Native Village of Tatitlek.
The community of Tatitlek receives ferry service one to two times per month in the summer. Tatitlek is a two hour and forty five minute ferry ride from Valdez and three hours and fifteen minutes from Cordova. The village sits on a relatively flat, one-mile strip of land between Galena Bay and Boulder Bay within the Chugach National Forest. The Chugach Mountains form an impassable range to the north, and then lower into a mountain ridge, which runs parallel with the Tatitlek Narrows.