Petersburg | (PSG) | pee-terz-burg
"Little Norway. Big Adventure."
Petersburg is located on the northwest end of Mitkof Island, where the Wrangell Narrows meet Frederick Sound and lies midway between Juneau and Ketchikan, about 123 and 130 nautical miles respectively from each. Alaska's first shrimp processor was founded here in 1916 and it is a town that still makes its living from the sea. Petersburg was named after Peter Buschmann, a Norwegian immigrant and pioneer in the cannery business who arrived in the late 1890s. His homestead grew into this community and was populated largely by people of Scandinavian origin. Known as "Little Norway," their Norwegian heritage shows beautifully in the decorative designs found in homes and shop fronts.
- Started as a fishing community and is currently one of the top-ranking ports in the U.S. for the quality and value of fish landed.
- The southernmost tidewater glacier in Alaska, the LeConte, is only 25 miles east by boat or floatplane.
- To the south is Mitkof Island, where a road system leads to U.S. Forest Service campgrounds, hiking trails, fish ladders, a hatchery, and a trumpeter swan observatory.
- Petersburg was recently named one of the 10 best boating towns by Yachting magazine.
- Visit www.petersburgak.org for more information on available activities and accommodations.
Petersburg lies on our mainline ferry route which connects Bellingham and Prince Rupert to ports along the Inside Passage, all the way to Haines and Skagway. Petersburg receives ferry service five days per week most of the year. The three-hour ferry ride between Wrangell and Petersburg is spectacular as you transit the Wrangell Narrows, famous for its many navigational markers.