Ketchikan | (KTN) | ket' chuh kan
"Salmon Capital of the World"
Ketchikan is commonly called the "First City" and is the first major community visited on a northbound journey at 595 nautical miles north of Bellingham. It is only a 90 minute flight from Seattle or a day and a half by ferry from Bellingham. Museums, historic sites and interactive tours highlight attractions of the community - guided motorcoach tours, boat tours, walking tours and unique options such as touring in Hummers, on Harley's, sea cycles, a '55 Chevy, and amphibians. Adventure also comes in many forms; go into the wilderness, across the water, through treetops on a zipline, or on a placid snorkel tour and beach exploration.
- Ketchikan has the world's largest collection of standing totem poles, located throughout the community.
- Misty Fjords National Monument lies only 22 miles east of Ketchikan and is a natural mosaic of cliffs, steep fjords and waterfalls.
- Search for an amazing array of wildlife with more than 250 species of birds, migrating humpback and orca whales, seals, sea lions, porpoises, black bears, and much more.
- Five species of wild Pacific salmon traverse the nearby waters earning Ketchikan the title of "Salmon Capital of the World."
- Visit www.visit-ketchikan.com for more information on available activities and accommodations.
Ketchikan lies on our regular mainline ferry route which connects Bellingham and Prince Rupert to ports along the Inside Passage, all the way to Haines and Skagway, and even across the Gulf of Alaska to Whittier. Ketchikan receives ferry service seven days per week in the summer, and five to six days per week in the winter. Only a six-hour ferry ride from Prince Rupert, thirty eight hours from Bellingham, or six hours from Wrangell, a trip to Ketchikan is easy for visitors and residents alike. Additionally, the MV Lituya provides service five days per week between Ketchikan and Metlakatla, Alaska's only Native reservation.
Below are some ideas to help you plan your trip to Alaska. Please note that availability and routing on your particular date of travel may vary from the suggested itinerary.