Akutan | (AKU) | ack oo tan
"The Friendliest Fishing Community in the Aleutians"
Akutan is located on the eastern Aleutian Krenitzin Islands, part of the Fox Island group. It is 45 nautical miles east of Unalaska, 58 nautical miles west of False Pass, and 570 nautical miles southwest of Homer. Limited visitor services are available in this community.
- Located in the center of some of the most productive fishing grounds in the world.
- Site of a traditional Unangan village.
- Boats, amphibious aircraft, and helicopters are the only means of traveling to and from Akutan.
- Without roads, the village has boardwalks making everything in town accessible by foot.
- Small museum boasts an excellent Aleut and Alaskana collection.
- Locals practice subsistence use of wild resources such as seal, salmon, herring, clams, wild cattle and game birds.
- A federally-recognized tribe is located in the community – the Native Village of Akutan.
Akutan is located on the Aleutian Chain ferry route which provides service from Homer to Unalaska every other week from May through September. It takes two-and-a-half to three days to travel between Akutan and Homer, depending on the direction you travel. It is only a three-and-a-half-hour ferry ride to visit the nearby community of Dutch Harbor / Unalaska or just over ten hours to get to False Pass. Explore this community on a 9 Day Aleutian Islands Adventure.