Wrangell | (WRG) | rang'-gull
"A Hidden Jewel"
Strategically located in central Southeast Alaska, Wrangell is in the heart of the Inside Passage and the Tongass National Forest. Located 89 nautical miles northwest of Ketchikan and 41 nautical miles southeast of Petersburg, Wrangell is nestled at the mouth of the mighty Stikine River. This small town offers a friendly atmosphere in the midst of a unique and pristine wilderness area. During spring migration, Wrangell is a major stop over for eagles, swans, shorebirds and waterfowl and in July and August gives access to Anan Creek for world class bear viewing. Wrangell is off the beaten path and not a large cruise ship port, but offers visitors exciting excursions to see glaciers, fish for salmon and halibut, and spectacular wildllife viewing!
- Rich in history, Petroglyph Beach State Historical Park and Chief Shakes Island and Tribal House Historic Monument offer a unique look into the culture of Tlingit Natives.
- Take an adventure excursion on the mighty Stikine River, the fastest navigable river in North America.
- Over 100 miles of forest roads offer mountain bikers, hikers, RV'rs and other explorers access to remote lakes, rivers, campsites, and scenic overlooks.
- Wrangell is the staging area for trips to Anan Bear and Wildlife Observatory to view brown and black bears up close.
- Visit www.wrangell.com for more information on available activities and accommodations.
Wrangell lies on our regular mainline ferry route which connects Bellingham and Prince Rupert to ports along the Inside Passage, all the way to Haines and Skagway. Wrangell receives ferry service five days per week most of the year. Only a six hour ferry ride from Ketchikan, three hours from Petersburg, or twelve hours from Juneau, a trip to Wrangell is easy for visitors and residents alike. The ferry route between Wrangell and Petersburg is spectacular as you transit the Wrangell Narrows, famous for its many navigational markers.
Below are some ideas to help you plan your trip to Alaska. Please note that availability and routing on your particular date of travel may vary from the suggested itinerary.