Join us for our first events, May 1 through May 5, to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Alaska Marine Highway on a voyage inspired by the first sailing of the MV Malaspina. Purchase a ticket for the whole cruise, a portion between your favorite ports, or come see us for a couple of hours at one of the Community Events. In each of the communities of Ketchikan, Wrangell, Petersburg, Juneau, Haines, and Skagway we will open up the ship for tours. We will also have fun activities for kids and each community will showcase their unique culture and heritage.
The Golden Voyage features two special cruises, one from Ketchikan around Revillagigedo Island through Misty Fjords National Monument and the other from downtown Juneau to Tracy Arm Fjord. During the Tracy Arm Cruise, dancers from Sitka will perform the White Sail story as a precursor to an event in Sitka later in the year.
To make reservations for these special sailings call 1-800-642-0066.
We look forward to welcoming you onboard!
2:00pm - 6:00pm — Community Event in Ketchikan
Visit us at Berth 3 in downtown Ketchikan for a salmon-themed event. Open to the whole family including fun, fishy, and maritime activities for the kids. Tour the bridge, dine onboard, and visit the gift shop for new 50th anniversary items.
- Dance to music by the Ratfish Wranglers from 4:00pm – 5:30pm
- Prepare your favorite Salmon Appetizer for a chance to win a Golden Ticket
- Think more than just dips – smoked, pickled, pinwheels – be creative!
- Entries can be dropped off at Berth 3 from 3:30pm until 5:15pm; the winner will be announced at 6:00pm.
- Print off an entry form and bring it with you to Berth 3.
- Please contact Sis Coenen firstname.lastname@example.org or 907-247-6692 if you intend to enter the competition so she can provide you with additional details.
- The winning recipe entry will be shared on FerryAlaska.com and on Facebook
- Great runner-up prizes will also be awarded.
- View KTOO’s documentary “Alaska’s Marine Highway” at the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center at 7:30pm
8:00am - 8:00pm — Enjoy the day circumnavigating Revillagigedo Island and cruising through Misty Fjords National Monument.
SOLD OUT — Boarding starts at 6:30am at the Ketchikan Ferry Terminal
5:00am - 11:00am — Cruise from Ketchikan to Wrangell
Visit us at the Wrangell Ferry Terminal. Open to the whole family including fun maritime activities for the kids. Tour the bridge, dine onboard, and visit the gift shop for new 50th anniversary items.
- Congratulations to the Wrangell Cooperative Association for their efforts on the restoration and rededication of Chief Shakes Tribal House; visit their blog to learn more about this incredible project.
- Fill out an entry form while registering for the Shakes Island Rededication Event for your chance to win a Golden Ticket
- Register at the SNO Building in Wrangell starting Wednesday, May 1
- The drawing will be held on May 3 at Shakes Island right before the parade
- Come onboard for lunch before heading to the parade
- Enter or watch the parade on Front Street from 1:30pm – 2:30pm
3:00pm - 6:00pm — Cruise from Wrangell to Petersburg
6:00pm - 10:00pm — Community Event in Petersburg
Visit us at the Petersburg Ferry Terminal for a Scandinavian-style event. Open to the whole family including fun maritime activities for the kids. Tour the bridge, dine onboard, and visit the gift shop for new 50th anniversary items.
- Be entertained by the Leikerring Norwegian Dancers
- Treat your Viking, Valkyrie, or the entire family to dinner onboard
- Enjoy special cookies provided by the Petersburg Borough
- Enter the Trivia Contest for a chance to win a Golden Ticket
- Starting Friday, April 19 pick up your entry form at the Ferry Terminal, Public Library, School Libraries, Chamber of Commerce, City Hall, or the Visitor Center.
- Entries with answers 100% correct will be entered into the drawing.
10:00pm — Depart from Petersburg and cruise to downtown Juneau
6:00am — MV Malaspina arrives at the Cruise Ship Terminal in downtown Juneau
8:00am - 9:00am — Open House in Juneau
Visit us at the Cruise Ship Terminal in downtown Juneau for an open house.
- All residents are welcome to take a tour of the Malaspina, including the bridge
- Stop by the Visitor’s Center for cookies and lemonade
- Enter the drawing for your chance to win a Golden Ticket
- Come onboard to purchase 50th anniversary memorabilia in the gift shop
- Stay downtown and take part in the Blessing of the Fleet, starting at 10:00am
9:00am - 10:00am — Passengers going on the Tracy Arm Fjord Cruise should board the ship at this time.
We are boarding early so as not to interfere with the Blessing of the Fleet Ceremony.
10:00am - 11:00am — The Malaspina will participate in the Blessing of the Fleet.
Following the dedication and reading of the engraved memorial names to honor commercial fisherman and other mariners who have passed on and to bless those who are still engaged in this dangerous profession, we will depart on the Tracy Arm Fjord Cruise.
11:00am - 10:00pm — Cruise from downtown Juneau to Tracy Arm Fjord - Fords Terror Wilderness area
SOLD OUT — Boarding starts at 9:00am at the Cruise Ship Terminal downtown
10:00pm — Arrive to Cruise Ship Terminal in downtown Juneau to offload passengers.
11:00pm — Reposition to Auke Bay Ferry Terminal
2:00am — Arrive at Auke Bay Ferry Terminal
4:00am - 8:30am — Cruise from Juneau to Haines Ferry Terminal
8:30am - 9:30am — Malaspina unloads and loads vehicles and passengers at Ferry Terminal
9:30am - 10:00am — Malaspina relocates to Port Chilkoot Dock
10:00am - 1:00pm — Community Event in Haines at Port Chilkoot Dock
Visit us at the Port Chilkoot Dock in Haines for a wildlife-themed event. Open to the whole family including fun maritime activities for the kids. Tour the bridge, dine onboard, and visit the gift shop for new 50th anniversary items.
- Enjoy performances by the Jilkaat Kwaan Dancers
- The Haines A Cappella Women’s Chorus will perform at noon
- Feast on a BBQ hosted by the Haines Harbor Department
- View live birds of prey from the American Bald Eagle Foundation
- Enter the Essay Contest for your chance to win a Golden Ticket
- Write an essay on your most memorable Alaska Marine Highway experience
- Open to all Haines residents (must be a US or Canadian citizen)
- Entries must be received by Friday, April 26 at 5:00pm, via email to email@example.com
- Click here for more information.
- The winning essay will be shared on FerryAlaska.com and on Facebook
1:00pm - 2:00pm — Cruise from Haines to Skagway on the Golden Circle Route
Enjoy music by Skin & Bones, a Skagway band who plays old time acoustic ragtime music.
2:30pm - 6:30pm — Community Event in Skagway
Visit us at the Skagway Ferry Terminal for a Gold Rush themed event. Open to the whole family, tour the bridge, dine onboard, and visit the gift shop for new 50th anniversary items.
- A cast of Gold Rush characters will greet the Malaspina upon arrival at the Ferry Terminal
- Pick up your sign and Kazoo at the ferry terminal at 1:30pm before the ship arrives
- There will be a short presentation onboard with dignitaries from Skagway and AMHS
- Ride the White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad like ferry travelers did in the early years
- Relax on this scenic trip to Glacier Station from 3:15pm – 5:00pm
- Tickets are $20 per adult, $10 per child age 2 to 12, and infants under age 2 are free
- To book online visit www.wpyr.com/ferry or call 1-800-343-7373 and identify yourself as part of the AMHS 50th Anniversary Group
- Buses will be available at the ferry terminal at 3:00pm for transport to the train depot or you may walk the short distance on your own
- Throughout the afternoon, stop by the National Park Service Visitor Center to view historic videos
- Chuck Keen Motion Picture Collection “Good Morning Alaska” will be shown at 1:00pm & 3:00pm
- KTOO’s documentary “Alaska’s Marine Highway” will be shown at 12:00pm & 4:00pm
- Gold Rush Orientation Film “Gold Fever, Race to the Klondike” will be shown at 2:00pm & 5:00pm
- Join us for a Block Party from 5:00pm – 6:30pm on Broadway between 2nd Ave & 3rd Ave
- Snacks provided by the Convention & Visitors Bureau at the AB Hall
- Listen to old time acoustic ragtime music by “Skin & Bones”
- Bring the kids for some fun gold rush and maritime activities
- Stop by the Jr. Ranger Center (on 4th & Broadway) for more fun kid’s activities
- Entries from the Skagway Children’s Art Show will be on display at the AB Hall
- Captain & Mrs. Falvey will judge the art and choose the recipient of a Golden Ticket
- The winning entry will be shared on FerryAlaska.com and on Facebook
- This contest is administered by the Skagway School District and open to Skagway students only
7:00pm — We finish our Golden Anniversary journey with a cruise from Skagway to Haines and return to Juneau on Monday May 6 at 1:30am.
We hope you will join us on our first cruise celebrating 50 years of service! Events in other communities will be announced throughout the year. Subscribe to Sea News to be the first to know about upcoming special sailings and community events.